Running around kicking the soccer ball seemed like a great idea to get this baby moving. Let me tell you though... it hurt afterwards :)
Apparently it did the trick. I finally fell asleep about 11:15 because I was nervous about the induction. The girls slept over at the Augles because we were going to have to leave by 6:15 a.m. to get to the hospital anyways. Well at about 1-1:15, I woke up and had to go to the bathroom. This was an every night occurrence at this point so it was no surprise. I tried to swing my legs to the side to roll myself out when I realized that I was losing control of my bladder. Also not unusual for this portion of the pregnancy (remember my lack of knowing how to do kegels?). Way too much was coming out and when I crossed my legs to stop it and that's when I realized it was my water breaking. I yelled, "Paul, I think my water broke," to which he jumped out of bed, came to my side, started laughing and said, "Yeah, it definitely did." He got a towel and I held it between my legs and slowly hopped my way to the bathroom. Paul jumped in the shower while I cleaned up, got a change of clothes, a pad, and new underwear and made my way downstairs. Paul cleaned up the sheets and it was a good thing we bought the mattress protector when we bought the new mattress. Paul made a pot of coffee, my dad took a picture, and we were set to leave. I must mention at this point that I was having zero contractions which was extremely strange considering the entire month before I was having contractions every night. Wow. Three kids and three different beginnings to labor so far.
We got in the car, the Dodge Stratus and when I sank down in the seat, whoosh, another gush of fluid. Good thing I was sitting on towels. Sooo... I got back out of the car, waddled to the bathroom again, and changed again. How ridiculous. At this point Papa Dave got to see me waddle around in underwear. Can't say I was embarrassed though... I just thought we weren't ever going to get to the hospital. Well after this gush and we finally got on our way... the contractions started. Full blown and painful. We finally got to the hospital at 3:15 in the morning. As I was getting out of the car in the parking garage in my black and grey striped pants a third gush of fluid came out soaking my pants. I waddled around until we got to Labor and Delivery to which the people at the counter said, "Oh we weren't expecting you for about 4 hours but it looks like you passed the "pants test". Such humor at 3:15 a.m. I got into my room, was checked and was 4 cm. Whooohooo. That's the most I've ever been getting checked in.
I was hooked up right away because I needed antibiotics (failed the Strep?? test) and got my epidural. Nice. I was feeling great. Fast forward a few hours and I was still at 4cm. Now remember with Charlotte how my epidural didn't set in on my right side and I thought it was because I was so fast delivering her? Well apparently the right side of my body doesn't react the same to the epidural as my left because my left side was numb but I could still feel stuff on the right side. So the nurse had me lay on my right to try to even it out? After a while she made me switch to my left again and then I felt nothing but was still at 4cm. She came back again around 7:00 a.m. and checked me and had me move to my right side. I was 7 cm. My doctor Dr. Bromberger who I see every month/week was coming on call at 8:00 a.m. hence the induction that day. The on call doctor was Dr. Dunn, another doctor in the practice who ironically enough has delivered some Bolt children. The nurse thought that I would at least be another hour because of how I was progressing and that Dr. Bromberger would be able to deliver. She had called Dr. Dunn and she was about 30 minutes or so away from getting to the hospital. I told her I could feel the contractions when I was laying on my right side and she told me to call her if they changed/got stronger/etc.
Well about ten minutes later she came in as I was about to press the button because the contractions were definitely stronger and different. She checked me and I was at 10 cm. Wahooo... let's roll. Oh wait, neither doctor was there. Dr. Dunn was still about 25 minutes away. Sooo... I had to wait. That's right... I had to wait at 10 cm. Again... it was very strange that I didn't feel like pushing. Weird.... very weird. Here I am... waiting.
The nurses got everything set up and were seriously just shooting the s#@t with me while we waited. The nurse who started with me found out that Paul knew the baby's gender and I didn't so she even stayed well past her shift to find out. When I first came in and she monitored the heartbeats she told me her guess was a boy by the heart rate. I told her that was my final guess as well.
Dr. Dunn finally got to the hospital and while she was dressing, the nurses had me push through one contraction. Dr. Dunn*** then came in and she found out also that I didn't know the gender so she told me I could announce it. Note to self... no person pushing out a baby should be in charge of doing anything after delivery. So... one contraction here we go. The first push was the head... pushed two more times during this contraction and boom out came a baby. They put the baby up to my face and I stared at her crotch. Yep, that's right... I stared at her crotch. I didn't say anything. I think I was in shock. I seriously kept staring and she said, "so?" and I couldn't talk. I don't know what I was supposed to say but then she said, "It's a girl" to which I started crying. Please let me explain before I am judged for being a terrible mom.
"It's a girl." Well duh I saw her crotch so I knew she was a girl but I think having someone actually say it made me snap out of the shock and feel the emotion of a third delivery and a third baby, and a third girl. I can't explain the tears in words but it wasn't a sad crying or a happy crying. It was just emotion. That may not make sense but I was in disbelief of everything at that point. The nurses then said she was 8 lbs 13 ounces and I was shocked by that also. Even though Paul and I had said we thought she would be that big it was still unbelievable. Shock I tell you has to be a real thing because I was experiencing it. They asked me if she had a name to which I said, "Julianne" then looked at Paul and said, "right?" considering I thought her name was Paul John. Hahaha. I think that was the first time I actually looked at Paul after the delivery.
This is as real as it gets. Paul took this picture just a few minutes after the tears subsided and I got to hold her. Julianne Louise Augle. 7:59 a.m. 8 lbs 13 ounces 21 1/4 inches. Just a disclaimer. The name Julianne was inspired by Julianne Hough from Dancing with the stars... love her... love the name. Her middle name is my mom's middle name. The other name we were deciding between was Rosemary Louise to incorporate Paul's mom's middle name Rose and Mary his grandmother's name. However about a month ago, Paul's grandma was in the hospital and so I told her both names to which she said she liked Julianne better. So there's that. All three girls now have names that are tied to family on the McGugan/Peters side. I know my mom would have loved all three of these girls... and they would have loved her too.
***FYI... Dr. Bromberger came in about 8:20 and said, how much did I miss it by? to which we told her about 20 minutes. I told her she was 0 for 3. Maybe next time!


No comments:
Post a Comment