Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 2 in the Hospital


A few things about post delivery... the after contractions get worse with each kid so nursing Julianne was very painful because each time I nursed, I also felt the contractions.  Due to the fact that she was 8 lbs 13 ounces they needed to do a blood-sugar test before I fed her for 5 straight feedings. Her levels had to be over 50 each time and then they would stop testing her.  Did anyone else's large babies have to be put through this?  Ugh... so the second day, there were people coming and going, asking questions, taking my blood pressure, you know how it goes.  I wasn't paying attention I was just doing what they asked.  I felt much better this day, I took a shower, did my hair, filled out my new insurance forms for work, called and made Julianne a doctor's appointment and felt great.  Paul went home to play with the girls and workout and I just hung out with Julianne.  Paul's mom came to visit because Paul was hanging with the girls and Rita took them to lunch which was nice.  She and I were laughing at how cute Julianne was with her cheeks and her new bow that Paul had ordered.  See pics below.  Kathy also got to come by which really made me happy.  I thought it would be just the two of us however just as Kathy was coming in Paul's Uncle Mike and Aunt Connie came in at the same time.  They hung out for a while and then Kathy hung out for a little while after they left.  Thanks Kath... I really appreciated having you there.  

 So I mentioned that I wasn't paying attention to all the people who were coming and going because that night, Julianne was pretty much inconsolable.  I could not get her to stop crying.  She passed her glucose tests by a mile so I didn't have to keep doing that. To be honest, I wasn't worried about her eating because my milk wasn't in (duh) and I knew that she wouldn't be getting much anyways.  Well after what seemed like the longest period of crying ever and Paul not waking up to console the poor child, the nurse finally came in and took the baby to try and get her to calm down.  She took her to the nursery and came back in to tell me that Julianne was probably hungry because she now weighed 8 lbs.  Now even though I knew this was no big deal and that she would get milk when my milk came in, of course in my emotional overtired state, I started crying and told the nurse to give her formula.  Of course as soon as she received a little milk she stopped screaming.  Needless to say, she left the hospital with a little smaller cheeks than she had when she came out:)  We were all able to sleep a little more after that.  Julianne slept right next to me in my bed which she still loves to do.  She also loved to sleep on Paul which she doesn't still love to do.  In fact, every time he tries to cuddle with her she cries and I have to take her.  Oh sweet Julianne.  Come to find out the next day that there was miscommunication between the hospital and the on-call pediatrician.  He was supposed to come in the first 24 hours but didn't.  He was asking me why they didn't get him.  I told him, I don't know.  There were lots of people coming in and out, ask the hospital why they didn't contact him.  I told them when I came in that we were using the on-call doc.  ugh.


 One more funny story.  When Paul's mom told the girls that they had another sister and her name was Julianne, Grace put her head down, started crying and said, "I wanted a brother."  Hilarious.  Stay tuned for the next post when you see exactly how she feels about her new sister.


No comments: